Monday, January 28, 2013

What Can we do about Worldwide Poverty?

I came across an interesting video today at Top Documentary Films.  It takes about an hour to watch but it doesn't seem like an hour.  It's a detailed well put together history of world poverty.  The historians, economists and so forth bring out very interesting thoughts on the topic, but do not necessarily come forth with a conclusion.

What perhaps struck me strongest after the end of the film was that not a single one of the well dressed, apparently comfortable, and highly intelligent commentators posited the concept of simplifying our lives so that others could have more.  (By "our" I am indicating or perhaps implicating western society.)  By simplifying I don't mean diving off the cliff of asceticism.  All I mean when I say that is that if we all regularly chose to live a little more simply, and when we became comfortable with that then simplify a little more, there would be more to spread around.

Well, I'll let you watch the video for yourselves and you can tell me what you think.

So Tell me, do you think we can change our lives enough to make a difference for the rest of the world?  Or do you think there's nothing that can be done?  Share your thoughts with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment