Friday, July 12, 2013

Yoga Berries and Chanterelles

Bet you never heard of yoga berries before.  And no, I am not confused, I am not speaking of the great Yankees catcher and manager Yogi Berra.  I am honestly talking about yoga berries.

You see, every morning I get up and spend about a half hour getting my body and mind in good condition with a little yoga.  It keeps me limber and flexible both mentally and physically.  When I woke up this morning, however, I knew there was something else I needed to do.  We had been gone for three days, right in the middle of the raspberry harvest!  I knew the canes were loaded, so without further ado I went out to the patch. 


I had not realized it before, but picking raspberries is a lot like doing yoga.  It is quiet work.  The mind needs to be focused fully on what the body is doing.  And, the contortions one must put oneself into to gain access to the ripest fruits on the incredibly prickly canes, easily rival any yoga asana (position) I am already able to achieve.

The patch looking gentle and serene
Delicately avoiding the prickly canes
Achieving Nirvana
 My efforts were worthwhile as I added about another two quarts to our previous harvests!

Then there are those chanterelles!  Last night when we were looking for our errant puppies, Dominic and Joe noticed a small patch of these delectable mushrooms.  So after the yoga berry harvest, I took a walk down the hill for my second harvest of the morning.
Lovely golden trumpets.

Sauteed in butter for a heavenly garnish on morning eggs.

Hanging to dry for later bliss.
It is a wonderful thing to find such delicacies right outside you door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment