Friday, April 11, 2014

The Lovage of My Life

I think spring is finally really here!  It shows up everywhere.  Everything at Groundwell is budding out and brightening up, and right along with it the workload is ramping up.  There's been so much going on lately that I hardly have time to think, let alone write.  So this morning I just wanted to drop you all a quick note showing off some of the glories of my spring.
Who'd think Sassafrass buds could be so lovely?

Flowering Quince is always one of the first yard brighteners of the season.

Even after being somewhat roughly moved the Snowdrop Frittalaria is blooming beautifully! 

Young beets in the greenhouse are almost ready to yield up buttery leaves for salads.

Oregano is creating a beautiful, fragrant blanket.

Our early plantings of carrots are looking very promising.
And the Lovage of my life!
Lovage is a perennial herb that makes a wonderful celery replacement.  After the first year it can grow up to six feet tall, yielding loads and loads of delicious leaves and stems.  I was worried about my sweet lovage because after its first summer I failed to mulch it over winter.  Thankfully, I had several planted (even though everything I read said that one was ample for the average family) and three of them returned to bless me and mine.

Respond to the call of spring!  Plant something fantastic that will dazzle your eyes and/or your tongue! Find a little lovage in your heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment