Saturday, May 2, 2015

Decisions, Decisions

Springtime on the farm . . . and it never stops.  The decision making that is. For example, last week we almost planted out our lovely tomato plants.  They certainly looked like they could handle it,
big beautiful babies that they are.  But at the last minute we chose to put them in six inch plastic pots instead,





even though we usually plant out very early and take the chance of needing to mount a rescue effort. As it happened, it was supposed to get down to 36 degrees (easily cold enough to risk frost). We were to be at the great Mammoth Cave that night and the boys were to work in the morning as well, so it was bad timing for a rescue.  Instead we were able to simply bring them into the house!

In another area, we usually try to "follow the calendar". The moon and stars reportedly have a great deal of influence over how well plants grow, and we have a handy-dandy farmer's almanac calendar to show us when to do what.
Is it for real?  I'm not really sure, but last year in my greenhouse everything I seeded out came up just fine and dandy, except for one tray of peppers.  After I seeded that particular tray, I looked at the calendar and it had that day pegged as barren.  Uh oh! It panned out. What plants did come up were poorly conformed and few of them ended up in the garden. So since then we pay closer attention to weather it's an above ground (tomatoes), below ground (onions), or barren (plant no seeds on this day, seeds tend to rot in the ground). But, what happens when a body's work schedule has them in a cave (literally) on almost all of the good days for planting? Sometimes you just have to put those onion sets in the ground on an above ground day,

and sigh and pray!

Many of our decisions right now revolve around the interface of work (at the great Mammoth Cave) and work (at Groundwell Farm). We recently decided to sacrifice yet one more farm day per week so that our decision to work at the cave this summer makes the most sense that it can make.  It was a very difficult decision, but I think it will ultimately be the right one.

Interestingly, in spite of spending more days at the cave than I do at the farm, I feel more connected with the farm than I ever have. My will leans toward the farm, and when I am not in the cave, giving the visitors there the very best I can give them, I am psychologically on the farm. For me this means that the transition is complete.

This leads me to another decision. I am going (we are going) to start up another blog within the next two weeks. This one has been fun, but when the new Groundwell Farm site starts up, it will go the way of Mamallama Transitions.  After all, how can I write about a transition that I am no longer in?

Thank you all for being here!


No comments:

Post a Comment